Scott C. Savett

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Boston Marriott Cambridge has an insect problem

I have kept quiet about this problem for long enough. I tried to settle it in a discrete manner, but the Marriott Corporation apparently doesn't care enough about their customers to make the situation right.

I checked in to the Boston Marriott Cambridge on Monday, June 11 and checked out on Thursday, June 14. Beginning on the morning of Tuesday, June 12, I noticed small welts on both legs, but especially on my left leg. By the time I checked out on June 14 I had more than 40 welts up and down my left leg and about 20 on my right leg. These bites were caused by insects in one of the beds in room 1604 of the Boston Marriott Cambridge.







On June 20 I was back in Cambridge and contacted the Boston Marriott Cambridge, who put me in touch with the head of housekeeping. She, in turn, contacted the security department so I could file a report. I offered to meet with both departments in person since I was in town, but neither of them felt it necessary to do so. Both of them were apologetic and professional. They said they would look into the issue and would block off the room so no other guest would potentially suffer the same fate as me.

The following day, June 21, I was contacted by Keith Shevlin of Marriott Claims Services. He told me that Ecolab was going to inspect the room for any evidence of infestation. That inspection apparently happened that same day. I subsequently asked Mr. Shevlin for a copy of the Ecolab report, which he tells me he cannot release as part of “Marriott corporate policy.” That was the end of my communication with Mr. Shevlin, as he concluded that the matter was closed.

The most I have gotten from Mr. Shevlin is a form letter written by his assistant. In his response he didn't even get my last name or town correct. Good attention to detail, eh?




Hoping that somebody at Marriott's corporate offices has a brain, I wrote to their President of North American Lodging, Robert McMarthy. You can see his liason's response below:





Considering that I'm visiting Boston two weeks every month, Marriott is doing everything they can to lose a good chunk of business. I had spent over $7600 in lodging at Marriott hotels in Boston in April, May, and June. I am now boycotting all Marriott hotels in the Boston area, shifting my business to Hilton, which seems to appreciate my business. While they are certainly not as convenient as the Marriott or Residence Inn in Cambridge, the DoubleTree hotels in the area Boston are quite nice. I don't mind the "T" commute each morning and evening. It certainly beats having to slather on hydrocortisone cream for 60 insect bites.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home