Scott C. Savett

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Trying a different Cambridge Restaurant - success

Tonight's restaurant was actually going to be Monday's pick, except that when I arrived there on Monday night at around 8pm, it was closed. Alas, even the independent restaurateur is allowed one day of rest per week.

Though Indian food isn't generally my first pick, the Royal Bengal caught my eye.

Royal Bengal
313 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139

The place was nearly empty when I arrived at 6:15pm on a Tuesday night. I was greeted and seated immediately. Only about 20 tables, it was a cozy place with bland but tasteful decor. Indian (perhaps Bengalese?) vocal music was softly playing in the background.

Even before I headed towards the restaurant I had previewed their menu online. Being a big fan of Tandoori chicken, the "Tandoori Mixed Grill" sounded really appealing. The menu described it as a "Combination of sizzling Tandoori specialties like Tandoori Chicken, Chicken Tikka, Boti Kebab, Seekh Kebab, and Tandoori Shrimp."

True to its menu description, the twelve-inch oval platter had assorted meats, a couple shrimp, cucumbers, green peppers, and onions. It was still sizzling when it arrived at my table. The service was prompt and the waitress was attentive. Unlike my experience at Sidney's around the corner the night before, my waitress didn't let my glass get less than half before coming around with the water pitcher.

My initial attack of the platter was quick, but slowed after two shrimp, a Tandoori chicken leg, a piece of chicken Tikka, and pieces of Boti and Seekh kebab. I managed to eat about two-thirds of the food on my plate before asking that the rest be boxed to take back to the hotel.

As I mentioned before, I am not an Indian food aficionado, but this meal seemed pretty tasty to me. It was a great value for the money (less than $15 for a huge platter), and I should be getting some Delta Skymiles for my visit courtesy of Delta's Rewards Network. I appreciated the excellent service, and would cheerfully go back when I have the desire for Bengalese food. They apparently have a decent lunch buffet, though it's a bit too far to walk from Biogen Idec during our lunch hour.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home