Scott C. Savett

Friday, December 29, 2006

Support on Hampton Bay ceiling fans blows!

Our Hampton Bay model 52AHR ceiling fan recently stopped responding to requests to turn the light on and off via the RF remote. The fan controls still work just fine using the remote. We can control the light using the pull chain.

After some research in the Internet, I've found that this is a common problem for this fan. So I asked Hampton Bay (actually, King of Fans - 800-749-3267) whether a replacement part is available for the proprietary UC7051R remote receiver module in the fan, which I believe has gone bad.

Their response was that they can't help me unless I have the UPC for the fan. Fair enough, so I climbed up to look for the UPC. There is no UPC. I have a model number, serial number, and other miscellaneous information -- but no UPC. What company can't cross-reference a model number or serial number with a UPC? And what good is a limited lifetime guarantee if they make you jump through hoops to get help? I smell a class action law suit here.

"Maybe the installer removed the UPC sticker from the fan?" asked the King of Fans representative. That makes no sense. Why would they do such a thing and leave the serial number / model number sticker on the fan? My question: what would happen if there were a safety recall on these fans? Would they do it by UPC or by model / serial number?

Needless to say, we won't be buying another Hampton Bay fan. Perhaps we'll get a Hunter this time.

4 Comments:

  • You are right! I just contacted King of Fans, Hampton Bay, and told them about a receiver UC7051R. The lady on the phone was rude and short. The receiver I have had a meltdown. The label on the receiver says it can take a lamp watt of 240. The receiver is in the light housing instead of the ceiling bell. All she was concerned about was the UPC which I have and how I wanted to pay the 42.00 plus shipping. It didn't matter that the unit melted. Warranties are only covered for the motor. Guess I should wait a month and tell them the motor was defected, caught fire and burnt down the house. Maybe then they may offer better customer service instead of some deadbeat the doesn't care about her job or what anyone has to say.

    By Blogger jakbear, at 7/30/2007 3:01 PM  

  • I sent my receiver and remote to; Gold Coast Fan 5810 Parr Ct Damon TX 77430. They tested them and called me. The new receiver was $68.50 including shipping. Check out their web site it has every receiver for all types of ceiling fans.

    By Blogger Phil, at 8/30/2007 5:16 PM  

  • additional info URL www.eceilingfans.com

    phone number 979-553-3260

    By Blogger Phil, at 8/30/2007 5:28 PM  

  • That's a great resource, Phil! Thanks for the tip. For us, we just use the pull-chain to operate the light. It isn't worth $68 to repair it. Instead, we moved the fan to a room where the light isn't as critical. For $125 we bought a new fan (not a Hampton Bay).

    By Blogger Scott C. Savett, at 8/30/2007 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home